For this Introduction to Quantitative Analysis Assignment, you will explore how to visually display data for optimal use.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and consider visual displays of data.
- For additional support, review the Skill Builder: Unit of Analysis and the Skill Builder: Levels of Measurement, which you can find by navigating back to your Blackboard Course Home Page. From there, locate the Skill Builder link in the left navigation pane.
- Using the SPSS software, open the Afrobarometer dataset or the High School Longitudinal Study dataset (whichever you choose) found in this week’s Learning Resources.
- From the dataset you chose, choose one categorical and one continuous variable and perform the appropriate visual display for each variable.
- Once you visually display each variable, review Chapter 11 of the Wagner text to understand how to copy and paste your output into your Word document.
For this Assignment:
Write a 2- to 3-paragraph analysis of your results and include a copy and paste of the appropriate visual display of the data into your document.
Based on the results of your data, provide a brief explanation of what the implications for social change might be. Early in your Assignment, when you relate which dataset you analyzed, please include the mean of the following variables. If you are using the Afrobarometer Dataset, report the mean of Q1 (Age). If you are using the HS Long Survey Dataset, report the mean of X1SES.
Use appropriate APA format. Refer to the APA manual for appropriate citation.
Wagner, III, W. E. (2020). Using IBM® SPSS® statistics for research methods and social science statistics (7th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 5, “Charts and Graphs”
- Chapter 11, “Editing Output”
SPSS software, open the Afrobarometer dataset or the High School Longitudinal Study dataset
Frankfort-Nachmias, C., Leon-Guerrero, A., & Davis, G. (2020). Social statistics for a diverse society (9th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 2, “The Organization and Graphic Presentation Data” (pp. 27-74)