After reading Chapters 8 and 9 respond to the following questions. Post your answers in a word document on Moodle.
1. Why is the Middle East a concept?
2. Discuss the four Rightly Guided Caliphs, following the Shi’ite-Sunni split.
3. Briefly explain the three sources of violence in the Middle East.
4. Name three states that the French and British created that did not reflect realistic divisions of the Middle East. Briefly explain what occurred because of these state creations.
5. Explain the emergence of terrorism after the Six-Day War.
6. What assumptions should be kept in mind to understand the Middle East?
- Who was Black September? Discuss the Munich attack.
- Discuss the Oslo Accords; what was the outcome?
- Describe how the Abu Nidal Organization reinforced the international spread of Palestinian terrorism.
- Provide a timeline of the phases of Hezbollah.
- Describe David’s Kingdom and Israeli settlements as indicated by Moshe Amon. Do you agree or disagree with Moshe Amon? Why or why not?
- List the controversial tactics utilized by Israel. What do the critics and defenders say? What do you say about the tactics? Why?